New user training
New User Training
This page mirrors and expands upon the content provided in the New User Training module in myTraining. The New User Training module is required for all new account holders within two weeks of obtaining a new account. Users who do not complete the training will have their account deactivated until the training is completed.
- Recognize the role of Research Computing, utilize HiPerGator as a research tool and select appropriate resource allocations for analyses
- Log into HiPerGatos using an ssh client
- Describe appropriate use of the login servers and how to request resources for work beyond those limits
- Describe HiPerGator's three main storage systems and the appropriate use for each
- Use the module system for loading application environments
- Locate where to receive user support
- Identify common user mistakes and how to avoid them.
Module 1: Introduction to Research Computing and HiPerGator
- 46,000 cores
- Hundreds of GPUs
- 10 Petabytes of storage
- New HiPerGator AI cluster will add
- 1,120 NVIDIA A100 GPUs
- 17,000 AMD Rome Epyc Cores
Summary: HiPerGator is a large, high-performance compute cluster capable of tackling some of the largest computational challenges, but users need to understand how to responsibly and efficiently use the resources.
HiPerGator is heavily subsidized by the university, but we do require faculty researchers to make investments for access. Research Computing sell three main products:
- Compute: NCUs (Normalized Compute Units)
- 1 CPU core and 3.5 GB of RAM
- Blue: High-performance
- Orange: Intended for archival use
- Sold in units of GPU cards
- NCU investment also required to make use of GPU
Investments can either be hardware investments, lasting for 5-years or service investments lasting 3-months or longer.